IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Since I post personal photographs as well as professional photographs, please be aware of the difference.  

All professional photographs will have a copyright watermark.  

Others are snapshots and just for fun :)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

DIXIELAND DELIGHT [Monica Brown, Pensacola Lifestyle Photographer]

My very favorite aspect of photography is how you can capture [emotion] in an image.



To you, this may be a very simple photo.

A dirt road.

But to me, this photograph brings childhood memories flooding to the surface.



Every time we head north to visit friends and family we pass by these gorgeous cotton fields, and I have always wanted to stop. So this time, I did.














Check out the farmhouse tucked behind the trees.







Most of you know that I was born and raised an Alabama girl. I absolutely LOVE L.O.V.E. everything about the South. My family is large. (I am the last of 19 grandchildren, just on one side.) We don't always all get along, or even get to see each other every year. But we all came from two very special people. In fact, Reagan's middle name - Claire - is derived from my Grandfather's name - Leonard Clarence.

I grew up on a county road in the middle of Alabama. All of my mom's family lived near us down the dirt roads. Looking at the first photo, I can just hear the sound of the road beneath the tires as we drove the short distance for visits. We passed cotton fields like these, as well as watermelon patches and fields of corn. I can just see the wash hanging on the outdoor clotheslines along the way...


If you haven't noticed, I am smitten by the natural beauty of a field.

You can see where we took family photos in a field off of Hwy 98 earlier this year. They are my favorite to date. It was just the 4 of us walking around. The only family shot we got was taken by the diaper bag.


There are so many things I love about the South.

Everyone waves, even if they don't know you.

Sitting on the front porch swing while drinking sweet tea is actually a hobby. I grew up with a swing on each end of our front porch. Anybody up for "who can swing the highest"?

Chirping crickets sing you to sleep on summer nights where it is cool enough to sleep with the windows open.

THE HUMIDITY. I actually do love it. Give me the sun and I will take the humidity that comes with it. After living in Washington state for 4 years, I don't care if you bake me to a crisp and then reduce me to a pile of sweat. Just don't take my sun away ever again.

Manners. Most everyone has them. Doors are held open for you. Sentences are finished with please, thank you and yes ma'am. And the handwritten, heart felt thank you note has not died...yet.

And most near and dear to my heart - Alabama Football. Yes, it is a religion down here. I pull for the Crimson Tide with every fiber of my being. I truly believe I can send my *vibes* into the universe and make good things happen. Go ahead. Laugh. But when I told Jake we really needed to concentrate on an interception, guess what happened the next play. I was really bummed when we lost last week. Like Greg McElroy, I was in a bit of a funk for a few days. In my defense, I did not get to watch the game, therefore I cannot be held responsible. I have since decided that I will not be leaving my house on Saturdays.



delightfully,
Monica






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this post....perhaps you should also pursue a career in writing.

Monica Brown said...

Thank you to whoever wrote the above comment :) But I did laugh out loud when I read it! Writing does not come naturally to me, so sometimes I wonder if what I'm saying even makes sense. But I will totally take the compliment :)

april summers said...

I agree Monica..very well written. I felt like I was in that field while reading this!

Leslie said...

Great list of what's wonderful about the South. I think so many people focus on the negatives when thinking of the South, but I think the manners and kindness that still exists for strangers is one of my favorite parts.

Well, that AND Alabama football. We believe in our power over the team as well. When we first started losing, Mama called and said, "Are you wearing the right shirt? If not, go put it on NOW." (Once a shirt wins, you wear it every game until it doesn't. If you were sitting in THIS room when we won, you better dad-gum sit there next game as well.) haha!