IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Since I post personal photographs as well as professional photographs, please be aware of the difference.  

All professional photographs will have a copyright watermark.  

Others are snapshots and just for fun :)

Saturday, July 11, 2009

TOTALLY UNCOOL [Monica Brown, Pensacola Photographer]


So much for that happily boring week I was looking forward to...

[Let me preface this with: I am not home, not answering phone calls or emails at this time.]


WOW.  What a week!  I was so excited to finish editing baby Max's photos.  They made me smile to look at them (as all photos do!)  On to the next project I went - Reagan's 3rd birthday is THIS THURSDAY (OMG how time has flown...but that is another post entirely).

I was trying to finish gathering and planning for the party so after Jake got home from work Wednesday we headed to Michaels to get some fun glittery foam stickers for the little activity I have planned for the party.  There I am just happily overwhelmed by the selection of foam (there is an entire aisle of it!!) when I get the tiniest of nose bleeds.  I look around for the restroom and pass a couple of employees on the way and ask for a tissue.  I casually mentioned that I had just had nasal surgery and they pointed me to the restrooms.  Sparing the details, I'm glad I mentioned the surgery because that prompted one of the ladies to check on me.  Her response when she opened the door was, "Do I need to call 911?"  A very good question if you had seen the scene.  I had just gained enough composure to be able to call Jake who was waiting in the truck with the kids so he arrived seconds later.  While we were trying to get the situation under control, I am wondering, "has anyone ever died of a nose bleed???"  Thankfully my sister in law's mother in law (you following me? - Jake's sister's MIL) works there and was a tremendous help.  She took the kids so we could gather ourselves to head across the street to the ER.  Everything under control, we waited our turn in the ER, Dave and Jo Ann took the kids to their house (have I ever mentioned how thankful I am to live near family now???) and we were sent home an hour or so later with instructions to simply keep the area moisturized.

We grabbed some fabulous pizza across the street at Santino's (YUM!) and headed home to get some rest.  Good thing.  As soon as I woke up - and I mean immediately - the drama started again.  At least Jake had woken up earlier and was ready to head to work.  I was still in my jammies, hair a mess and not looking so fantastic given the circumstances.  We called the doctor who performed my surgery and headed straight to his office at Sacred Heart.  After a VERY traumatic hour or so in his office I was admitted to the hospital via stretcher.  Once in the observation unit another traumatic hour ensued.  I did not know you could loose that much blood and not need any...although I am very grateful. 

The Dr. decided to keep me Thursday night and then again Friday night.  I was seriously missing my kids by now and ridiculously sleep deprived.  Once you finally get to sleep, they always wake you up!  And speaking of ridiculous...if you are EVER given the option for the "waterless shampoo" cap, no matter how much everyone tells you it will make you feel better, it's so nice and warm, etc, REFUSE REFUSE!!!  I looked like I had dumped a gallon of Crisco over my head.  As my MIL points out, my nose was packed, and I had bloody gauze taped to my face, so it was no fashion show anyway.  But nonetheless, my hair was slicked back so well I could have totally been a Greaser.  Thankfully Robin brought shampoo and conditioner when she and Jon visited.  Since I was in Observation, the room was tiny and I had to drag my IV bag (which was connected to a pole with wheels that did not roll) down the hall to the restroom.  Jon carried a chair and Robin helped with the anchor I was dragging and we had the ultimate bonding experience.  Hair washing!  I felt like a new person :)  It was fabulous!

Throughout all of this Jake was a wonderful support.  I can't stress that enough.  He is my person.  Always there for me no matter.  I know that is the definition of a husband, but he is my best friend too.  I could not have coped with this without him.

His family is fantastic too :)  While Jake ran downtown to make sure the Farewell for the Skipper was going as planned his entire family visited with the kids!!  I already mentioned the fabulous salon skills of Robin, but it was fantastic to see the kids too.  I had no idea they were coming so I was so excited, although I couldn't smile to show them :)  Too much tape.  Reagan was hesitant to get near me with so many wires and Luke didn't know who I was.  I don't blame him.  I was scary.  

I tried to take some funny pics to post, but there was nothing funny about them when I looked at them.  You couldn't tell I was smiling so they were just sad.  Like Michelle says, posts without pics are TOTALLY UNCOOL, but since everything about this screamed of uncoolness, I'm okay with it.

I am so thankful, appreciative, grateful, etc for all of the help and support we have received through all of this. Thank you for all of your emails to facebook and texts to my cell (since I'm not home).  Knowing so many of you care helped distract me from what was actually happening.

Sorry for the rambling.  I have been working on this post for 21 hours amidst being super tired and super dizzy.  It may make no sense at all.  

I will return home later this week.  Jake's parents are being fantastic with help.  I can't lift the kids for a week and plus I'm still very hesitant to be left alone so we are going to hang at Grandma and Grandpas for a few days.  More rambling...

Anyway, have a fantastic week!!!!

delightfully,
Monica






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you have had to go through so much with this surgery. But I'm sure that when you are all healed up it will have been worth it.
Take it as easy as you can. Love you bunches.
Joyce

McLain said...

Monica, I am just now reading this...holy cow!!! I am so sorry you had to go through all of that! I hope you are recovered and doing better now!